Increase your site’s organic search visibilities and click-through rates with optimized title tags as well as meta description tags.
“Content is King” but title tags and meta descriptions are most important factors of your site’s content. Please think about the importance of your page content first. Your website’s title tags and meta description tags should be included relevant keywords to the content of the page that they describe. It helps Search Engines realize what the web pages about as well as index your pages of the website according to the relevant keyword phrases or relevant keywords. Find out more regarding to title tags and meta description tags.
What is title tag?
The title tag(<title>) describes the title of the web page or document. The title factor or element is needed in almost all HTML/XHTML content. It is one of the major on-page SEO factors. According to the SEOmoz (the major SEO community in the planet) it is one of most important and significant on-page SEO factor (driving overall page content). Title tags appear on the results pages just above the URL; it also shows up at the top of the browser window.
Title tags give visitors a fast insight into the page content and exactly how it may be relevant to users query. This is typically the most important piece of page information along with meta description tag which is utilized by prospective site visitors to determine what search result should to click on, that’s why it is important to make meaningful and high-quality titles while you optimize the pages of your site. Below are best example guidelines for using title tags of a page:
- Title tags usually ought to be less than 70 characters length so that the entire tag fits/shows on search engine’s results page when it is shown and users can read the tag at a fast glance.
- Each title tag on a website must be distinctive, descriptive and unique titles for each web page on a website. HTML suggestion pages in Google Webmaster Tools list potentially problematic or missing title tags.
- Keywords should be used in the title tags and put important keywords more closer to the starting of your title tags. Search Engines will highlight or bold those terms in to the search results if a visitor has done a query along with these terms.
- You should always avoid keywords spamming. Remember that there is no purpose to write the same keywords or phrases display several times.
- Google suggests title include your company/brand so include website name at the starting or end of every page title, split up from the rest of titles with a delimiter like a hyphen, pipe or colon.
What is a meta description tag?
Google’s head of Webspam, Matt Cutts, declared in 2009 that neither meta keywords nor meta descriptions issue into Google’s ranking algorithms for web research. But, he challenges that this is still essential to create a meta description tag as Google would occasionally uses the overview in search results snippets when the Search Engine thinks it is an appropriate summary of the webpage.
Matt Cutts describes Google’s viewpoint on meta description in more significant detail in the video below:
Appropriate meta descriptions can help boost your click-through rates with specific and relevant title tag. Below are greatest practice suggestions about writing accurate meta description tags so that the entire tag fits/shows on search engine’s results page when it is shown and users can read the tag at a fast glance.
- Meta description tags usually should be around 150-160 characters length so that the entire tag fits/shows on search engine’s results page when it is shown and users can read the tag at a fast glance.
- Generally every page on your website must have a unique and descriptive meta description. Google recommends using site-level description on the home page/main page or another aggregate web page, and making use of page-level descriptions almost everywhere else.
- Creating a unique and descriptive meta descriptions can be time consuming for a large site. Google recommends that at the least; write a summary for the important URLs like popular pages and home page. HTML suggestion pages in Google Webmaster Tools list potentially problematic or missing meta description tags.
- Meta description tags should generally focus on a unique keyword or keyword phrase for every webpage, however again you should avoid keyword surfing/spamming and should have the keyword only display once.
- Meta description is like a summary or short sales pitch for the web page. Create rich-keyword description which engages users and attract them to increase click-through rates on your site.
- Meta descriptions do not include being a full sentence. It only can contain important points relevant to prospective visitors. As an example, content can list the writer/author, byline information or date of publication– just keeps it with the limit of character.
Search terminology and SEO jargon can be very frustrating if you have just begun studying about SEO. You can learn more search conditions in SEO glossary. Creating title tag and meta description tags are an vital part of on-page SEO, however there have a lot of elements that impact the Search Engine ranking. In case you are considering using the services of an SEO company in order to optimize your site, you may contact one of our SEO consultants today.